Sunday, April 09, 2006

T-minus 35

Yup, only 35 days left until prelim time. Only 5 more weeks of intense economic studying and then, given that I pass the prelims (the first time), a delightful summer shall await.

I have tons of things I want to do this summer.

As for the prelim itself, why it’s such a big thing for me and my peers is that it is the first major hurdle that challenges us in our pursuit of an economics PhD. The preliminary exam consists of three topics and four examinations. The three topics being microeconomics, macroeconomics, and econometrics; there are two micro exams, one macro and one metrics exam.

The grades that one can obtain on the exams, or should I say topics/subject matter are major pass, minor pass and fail. If you get major pass, you’re all good and further into the PhD program you may go. If you get a minor pass, all you get is a Master’s. And last but not least, if you fail, you’re gone.

That and the larger than normal class size of this year sums to a anxiety-filled test-prep season.

I have noticed that other economic programs (PhD level) do not necessarily have such a procedure, or if they do, it may not be in the first year. From what I have discerned, the reasons for the existence of such a “ritual” in our program range from “so that the first years will study hard and then harder”, to “well, because it was always there”. It seems irrelevant to discuss this now, given the current situation; but regardless, it’s something for me to note and reflect in the future.

This evening, prior to entry, I told my mother, who has been graciously encouraging and supporting me throughout, in no certain words, that it is time.

And yes, IT IS TIME.

1 Comments:

Blogger kimberley1003 said...

hey little old man
got a song for yhou,
b4 that, i gota say im really thankful for your support..
read this, this is for the 2002 for it.
http://www.kkbox.com.tw/funky/web_info/nxe1RzudKGFs9-j00BLI008l.html


hey. im warnning you
delete the msg b4 after u read it.
otherwise ima kill u, k

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home